Friday, July 31, 2009

The Beauty of Submission, Part 2

Continuing on into my study of 1 Peter 3:1-6 from last week, I'll take some time to "talk" through verses 5 & 6. Here are verses 5 & 6:
5For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, 6like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
(Note: If you're just chiming in for the first time, go back to last week's post, The Beauty of Submission, Part 1, before reading this because there's a lot of good meat in the previous 4 verses that I discuss in that post, and I'll use some of that information to further discuss these last two verses of my study.)

Let me begin by saying that I'm very thankful that Peter reminds us here that we're not the only ones who are called to submit and learn to be godly women ... ALL "the holy women of the past who put their hope in God" did the same thing! We have lots of examples to follow. Praise the Lord! And Peter even gives us a specific example, Sarah.

Now I had originally hoped to wrap up this study with Part 2, but after diving into Genesis to learn more about Sarah and Abraham, I'm not sure that I can just wrap all of this up in this post. I'm confronted with many questions about Sarah and Abraham's disobedience and God's ultimate faithfulness and blessing toward them. So, I think I'm going to need more time to study Sarah and figure out how to follow her example ... aside from just reading Peter's words and understanding that she was obedient to Abraham and called him her 'master'.

I began my study of Sarah in Genesis 12, so if you would like to read along with me and comment when the time comes, hopefully next week, to post Part 3, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment