Monday, July 6, 2009

Me, a Helper?

I am in awe of God's timing! Just when I need to understand what it means to be a godly helper the most, God has given me his divine wisdom through scripture and the most recent books that I've been reading -- Biblical Womanhood in the Home and Feminine Appeal.

Toward the end of last week, my husband called me from work and was overly anxious about decisions we have made on the house that we're renovating. (Our loan agreements are final, we have all permits, and our contractor began demolition 2 weeks ago.) But, he felt like the Holy Spirit was calling us to a different plan than what our signed contract indicates ... and he was beyond anxious.

When presented with this situation, I wasn't at loss for what to do by any means ... I don't even think I would have been if I wasn't currently studying what it means to be a godly woman, he's my husband of course ... but with God's commands for me at the forefront of my mind, I was assured that I knew how to love and support my husband the way the Lord needed me to in this situation. I was to reassure him that I loved him, that God loves him even more and I needed to encourage him, pray for and pray with him, and come alongside him; remind him of God's truth and promises in scripture to provide for us. Here are some of things that God had me share with him:
God is sovereign and all-powerful. Nothing is too hard for him (Jeremiah 32:17). He tells us to cry out to him and cast our burdens on him (Psalms 55:22). This is truth! Remember how God, in the form of a cloud, guided the Israelites through the desert day and night? He will do this for us too! See Exodus 13:21.

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. -- Isaiah 43:1
As I sent these truths to him in an email, I was in awe at how perfectly this action followed my job description as his helper. It was amazing to be used by God in this way and to be able to take my husband to the feet of Jesus, and remind him of God's promises. My husband was in awe at how God was using me and I knew it was divine!

This situation, more than any thing else ever before, has reassured me that God's design for me as an aspiring godly woman is perfect, and that if I can submit myself to the Lord to follow His lead and be the helper that my husband needs, we will experience REAL life and only grow more and more into the marriage that God has in mind for us!

This also shows me that being a helper requires a lot of study and intimate time with the Lord. I need to know God so that I can discern his voice and effectively take my husband to the Lord when it is required of me. And how can I be an effective sounding board when my husband needs to run ideas by me or share his concerns if I am not immersed in His Word? And how can I remind him of God's truths if I don't believe them myself and pray over them for him and myself daily?

There's quite a bit more to be worked out in this situation, but I trust that the Lord will be faithful to us in his call. I hope to share more as the situation progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment