Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why This Blog?

As I have been exploring biblical womanhood over the past 7 months, I recently came across a book by the name of "Biblical Womanhood in the Home" and after reading the preface, I was inspired to begin this blog. The point that intrigued me so much was how Nancy Leigh DeMoss suggests that the pursuit of biblical womanhood is a counterrevolution to feminism. She explains this as she comments on a 1990 issue of Time magazine that was entirely devoted to the subject of women, which lauded them chiefly for their success in their chosen vocations. Not that a vocation is a bad thing, but DeMoss mentions that the issue failed to highlight the "achievements" of women in the home and how that "role" didn't seem to be one that our culture glorifies due to the "superior challenge" of breaking the glass ceiling. You'll need to read the preface that I linked above to truly understand her point, but despite the freedoms that we have as women in the United States today due to the feminist movement, I believe it causes us to overlook the God-ordained roles and responsibilities the Lord has created us for. They may not be glamorous, glitzy or the same as those that the men in our lives have (God created us to carry out different roles), but if we pursue the work God has set out for us, He will be glorified and He says in Proverbs 31:28,29b that "Her children [will] arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her ..." and "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." (I hope to touch on our different roles throughout this blog.)

Here's what DeMoss has to say,

"As I pondered these things, I began to wonder what might happen in our day if even a small number of devoted, intentional women would begin to pray and believe God for a revolution of a different kind—a counterrevolution—within the evangelical world. What would happen if a “remnant” of women were willing to repent, to return to the authority of God’s Word, to embrace God’s priorities and purpose for their lives and homes, and to live out the beauty and the wonder of womanhood as God created it to be?"

I haven't read anything but the preface yet, so I can't recommend the book by any means (My husband just bought me the book for Mother's Day, so I'm sure that as I work through it, I will share my thoughts along the way), but I was intrigued by this idea, and as I begin this blog, I would love to explore DeMoss' idea of a counterrevolution, generate conversation about biblical womanhood and proclaim the truths about it in scripture.

Plus, as I've begun to explore what it means to be a godly woman, I feel like I have to dig through so many online resources to find examples of biblical womanhood lived out as scriptures says ... examples that are applicable to my life and not the Puritan woman ... and so it is my hope that through this blog, I will be able to share many of the resources I find and share the knowledge that I gain through my lifelong pursuit of becoming a godly woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment